Keo.co.za brought you coverage of the Vodacom Western Province training session in Bellville.
1. Despite a cloudless sky, the weather is chilly in Bellville with a strong breeze blowing across the ground. The players take the field and wait for the coaches to make their way out of the club.
2. Players like Ross Skeate, Francois van der Merwe and Corne Uys who are all carrying slight injuries are on the park and ready to train. Skeate’s ankle is heavily strapped, while Uys has already been seen nursing his shoulder with his hand. Selborne Boome is not in his training kit and leaves the field soon after the practice commences, while Justin Melck is not present at all. Keo.co.za learns that he is unlikely to take part in this weekend’s game against the Lions.
3. The players begin with a variation of touch rugby before warming up. Ross Skeate calls for more strapping for his ankle.
4. Coach Kobus van der Merwe gets his troops to run a few moves from the scrum for about 20 minutes. He mixes up the combinations in every move, with the likely reserves getting a run in various positions. Sireli Naqelevuki runs a few moves at outside centre, and it appears as if he will play in the position should Corne Uys be ruled out, with Sarel Potgieter moving inside to No 12.
5. The players continue to run set moves, but this time from the lineout. Skeate and Van der Merwe seem to be coping with their ailments, and Uys’ injury hasn’t effected his passing accuracy as yet.
6. While his team-mates train, Huia Edmonds practises a few line-out throws under the tutelage of assistant coach Gary Gold. He has been struggling with his accuracy of late.
7. The team continues to run moves for the remainder of the practice. Bolla Conradie pulls up with a slight Achilles problem and leaves the field ahead of the others. The WP coach confirms that he has had a problem but should be fine for Saturday.
By Jon Cardinelli, at Bellville Rugby Club