The Bulls have beaten the Sharks for the second time in this year’s Super Rugby.
The Bulls won 39-33 and the victory moved them into ninth place on the overall log and third in the South African Conference behind the Jaguares (2nd) and Stormers (1st).
- The Bulls are unbeaten in their last seven games against the Sharks (W6, D1)
- The Sharks are winless in their last six trips to Loftus Versfeld (D1, L5), although each of those defeats have come by eight points or fewer.
This was a wonderful example of the positive attacking mindset of both teams and the evolving attitudes of how both want to play the game. The accuracy didn’t always match the intent in a game that produced nine tries.
Warrick Gelant, among the backs, was again a stand out and the lock duo of RG Snyman and Lood de Jager were impressive.
Sharks hooker Akker van der Merwe is enjoying a purple patch and was named Man of the Match, although the home crowd would justifiably argue that the award could have gone to any one of the Bulls forwards.
The Bulls were always in control of the match and the Sharks ultimately did well to get a losing bonus point.
The nature of the competition conference structure keeps alive the slim hopes of one of the Bulls or Sharks still actually qualifying for the play-offs. The skewed nature of the play-off qualification is that the Lions are in first place of the South African Conference with 31 points from 12 matches, which includes six defeats. By contrast the Chiefs are in fourth place on the NZ Conference with 31 points from 10 matches. Yet, it is the Lions, should they finish top of the SA Conference, who will host a play-off while teams with more points that don’t win their Conference (read two NZ teams) will have to travel for the play-offs.
The Bulls, at home, simply had to triumph – and they never looked in danger of losing, despite actually going behind 23-22 in the 52nd minute. It was against the flow of the match and within a few minutes the Bulls had restored the lead. They were never behind again.
A picture tells a story: How Sport24 reflected Bulls win
Bulls 39 (22)
Tries: Warrick Gelant, Jessie Kriel (2), Roelof Smit, Jonny Kotze, Lood de Jager
Conversions: Handre Pollard (4)
Sharks 33 (17)
Tries: Curwin Bosach, Jacques Vermeulen
Conversions: Robert du Preez (2)
Penalties: Du Preez (3), Curwin Bosch
15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal (captain), 11 Johnny Kotze, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Ivan van Zyl, 8 Marco van Staden, 7 Jason Jenkins, 6 Roelof Smit, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Lizo GqobokaSubstitutes: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Frans van Wyk/Nqoba Mxoli, 18 Conraad van Vuuren, 19 Thembelani Bholi, 20 Nic de Jager, 21 Andre Warner, 22 Manie Libbok, 23 Divan Rossouw
15 Curwin Bosch, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Cameron Wright, 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Jacques Vermeulen, 5 Ruan Botha (captain), 4 Tyler Paul, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Akker van der Merwe, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Ross Geldenhuys, 19 Stephan Lewies, 20 Wian Vosloo, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Marius Louw, 23 Lwazi Mvovo
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 80+1‘The touch judges raise their flags as Robert du Preez kicks the penalty goal.
- 75‘A gap opened in the defence and Jesse Kriel took full advantage.
- 74‘The defensive line has been broken as Nick de Jager goes through the gap.
- 74‘What a run here by Curwin Bosch as they gets over the gainline!.
- 74‘Sharks have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 72‘Bulls have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 70‘Marius Louw makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 70‘Marius Louw sets up the try.
- 70‘The Sharks supporters go wild as Robert du Preez successfully kicks the conversion.
- 69‘Silky skills by Sharks ends with a try for Jean-Luc du Preez.
- 68‘Handre Pollard adds the points for Bulls.
- 68‘Lukhanyo Am (Sharks) is shown a yellow card.
- 67‘Bulls sub Jason Jenkins comes onto the field.
- 67‘Lodewyk De Jager departs for Bulls.
- 66‘Nick de Jager comes on for Bulls.
- 66‘Marco van Staden leaves the field.
- 66‘The touch judges raise their flags as Handre Pollard kicks the conversion.
- 66‘Ross Geldenhuys comes on.
- 66‘Thomas du Toit comes off.
- 65‘Andre Riaan Warner sets up the try.
- 64‘Bulls are stopped just a few metres from the try line but Lodewyk De Jager picks up from the base of the ruck to score the try.
- 63‘Wian Vosloo comes on.
- 63‘Jacques Vermeulen comes off.
- 61‘Lodewyk De Jager has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 59‘Conraad Van Vuuren comes on.
- 59‘Frans van Wyk comes off.
- 59‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Andre Riaan Warner getting some game time.
- 59‘Bulls decide to make a substitution, with Ivan van Zyl being replaced.
- 59‘Sharks make a substitution with Marius Louw coming on.
- 59‘Sharks make a substitution with Andre Esterhuizen coming off.
- 58‘Sharks sub Juan Schoeman comes onto the field.
- 58‘Tendai Mtawarira departs for Sharks.
- 56‘Jean-Luc du Preez has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 55‘Warrick Gelant sets up the try.
- 54‘Thembelani Bholi comes on for Bulls.
- 54‘Jason Jenkins leaves the field.
- 54‘Jaco Visagie comes on.
- 54‘Adriaan Strauss comes off.
- 54‘Handre Pollard adds the two points for Bulls.
- 54‘Chiliboy Ralepelle comes on.
- 54‘Armand van der Merwe comes off.
- 53‘A wonderful passing move by Bulls is finished off by John-Ben Kotze.
- 53‘Bulls have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 52‘Sharks have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 51‘Robert du Preez does the business as his penalty goal attempt goes over.
- 49‘Fabulous play by Sharks has led to Lwazi Mvovo being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 49‘Thomas du Toit has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 48‘Ruan Botha has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 45‘Lwazi Mvovo comes on.
- 45‘Makazole Mapimpi comes off.
- 45‘Sharks decide to make a substitution, with Louis Schreuder getting some game time.
- 45‘Sharks decide to make a substitution, with Cameron Wright being replaced.
- 45‘Sharks make a substitution with Stephan Lewies coming on.
- 45‘Sharks make a substitution with Tyler Paul coming off.
- 45‘Robert du Preez makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 44‘Trouble here as Daniel du Preez breaches the defence.
- 42‘There wasn’t enough power on that penalty goal attempt by Curwin Bosch as it drops short of the posts.
- 40‘Sharks have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+1‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 40+1‘Curwin Bosch kicks the penalty.
- 39‘Jacques Vermeulen has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 37‘Handre Pollard has kicked a penalty goal.
- 34‘Robert du Preez does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 34‘Spellbinding play by Armand van der Merwe is finished off with a try.
- 33‘RG Snyman (Bulls) is shown a yellow card.
- 33‘Jacques Vermeulen scores the try from close range.
- 32‘This is dangerous for the defence as Curwin Bosch bursts through to advance the Sharks attack.
- 31‘Bulls have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 27‘A gap opened in the defence and Jesse Kriel took full advantage.
- 26‘Bulls sub Frans van Wyk comes onto the field.
- 26‘Lizo Gqoboka departs for Bulls.
- 26‘Handre Pollard makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 26‘Bulls are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Roelof Smit touching down.
- 25‘The defensive line has been broken as Warrick Gelant goes through the gap.
- 25‘What a run here by Travis Ismaiel as they gets over the gainline!.
- 22‘Robert du Preez converts the try.
- 22‘Tendai Mtawarira played a key part in that try.
- 22‘A series of passes by Sharks results in a try for Curwin Bosch.
- 21‘Sibusiso Nkosi makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 16‘Bulls have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 15‘Handre Pollard has kicked a conversion.
- 14‘That’s a great try assist by Trevor Nyakane.
- 14‘Great hands by Bulls leads to a try for Jesse Kriel.
- 14‘Fabulous play by Bulls has led to Jesse Kriel being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 14‘Trouble here as Roelof Smit breaches the defence.
- 12‘Jason Jenkins comes on for Bulls.
- 12‘Thembelani Bholi leaves the field.
- 11‘Handre Pollard has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 11‘Jesse Kriel sets up the try.
- 11‘This is dangerous for the defence as Warrick Gelant bursts through to advance the Bulls attack.
- 10‘The kick through from Bulls has allowed Warrick Gelant to touch down.
- 9‘Curwin Bosch (Sharks) is shown a yellow card.
- 9‘A gap opened in the defence and Jean-Luc du Preez took full advantage.
- 4‘Thembelani Bholi comes on.
- 4‘Jason Jenkins comes off.
- 2‘The defensive line has been broken as John-Ben Kotze goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.