The Barrett brothers Beauden and Jordie Barrett inspired an All Blacks second half comeback as they smashed France at Eden Park.
The All Blacks won 52-11 after trailing 11-8 at halftime.
The All Blacks last loss at Auckland’s Eden Park was to France in 1994.
And for 40 minutes France would have believed they could break a 12 match losing streak to the All Blacks and end the Eden Park dominance of the All Blacks.
But a yellow card in the 50th minute, with the teams 11-all proved telling and in the last 30 minutes it was all New Zealand with New Zealand scoring 41 unanswered points. In all, the All Blacks scored 44 unanswered points and it could have been more but for Barrett missing five of his eight conversion attempts.
The conversion kicking apart, the World Player of the Year in 2016 and 2017 was outstanding.
The All Blacks scored eight tries to one.
New Zealand 52 (8)
Tries: Beauden Barrett, Codie Taylor, Ben Smith, Rieko Ioane (2), Damian McKenzie, Ngani Laumape, Ardie Savea
Conversions: Beauden Barrett (3)
Penalties: Beauden Barrett (2)
France 11 (11)
Try: Remy Grosso
Penalties: Morgan Parra (2)
Recap of match commentary
- Beauden Barrett makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 78‘New Zealand are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with Ardie Savea touching down.
- 76‘Try saving tackle made by Baptiste Serin.
- 75‘Beauden Barrett has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 74‘New Zealand make a substitution with Ardie Savea coming on.
- 74‘New Zealand make a substitution with Sam Cane coming off.
- 74‘Rieko Ioane scores an interception try.
- 73‘France have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 72‘New Zealand sub Sam Cane comes onto the field.
- 72‘Ardie Savea departs for New Zealand.
- 72‘Vaea Fifita comes on for New Zealand.
- 72‘Luke Whitelock leaves the field.
- 69‘Trouble here as Teddy Thomas breaches the defence.
- 68‘Beauden Barrett curls the ball too far, missing the posts to the left.
- 68‘Bernard Le Roux comes on.
- 68‘Paul Gabrillagues comes off.
- 67‘Damian McKenzie sets up the try.
- 66‘This is dangerous for the defence as Damian McKenzie bursts through to advance the New Zealand attack.
- 66‘Silky skills by New Zealand ends with a try for Ngani Laumape.
- 65‘TJ Perenara comes on.
- 65‘Aaron Smith comes off.
- 65‘Nathan Harris comes on.
- 65‘Codie Taylor comes off.
- 65‘The ball swings towards the posts but floats to the right, Beauden Barrett will have to re-adjust the radar.
- 64‘Codie Taylor sets up the try.
- 63‘A stunning solo try from Damian McKenzie.
- 63‘New Zealand decide to make a substitution, with Ardie Savea getting some game time.
- 63‘New Zealand decide to make a substitution, with Sam Cane being replaced.
- 62‘Beauden Barrett has hooked the conversion to the left of the posts.
- 61‘Spellbinding play by Aaron Smith is finished off with a try.
- 61‘A gap opened in the defence and Rieko Ioane took full advantage.
- 61‘A wonderful passing move by New Zealand is finished off by Rieko Ioane.
- 60‘New Zealand make a substitution with Damian McKenzie coming on.
- 60‘New Zealand make a substitution with Jordie Barrett coming off.
- 60‘New Zealand sub Ngani Laumape comes onto the field.
- 60‘Ryan Crotty departs for New Zealand.
- 60‘Jules Plisson comes on for France.
- 60‘Anthony Belleau leaves the field.
- 60‘Alexandre Lapandry comes on.
- 60‘Judicael Cancoriet comes off.
- 60‘Baptiste Serin comes on.
- 60‘Morgan Parra comes off.
- 60‘Adrien Pelissie comes on.
- 60‘Camille Chat comes off.
- 59‘There wasn’t enough power on that penalty goal attempt by Morgan Parra as it drops short of the posts.
- 58‘France decide to make a substitution, with Gael Fickou getting some game time.
- 58‘France decide to make a substitution, with Remy Grosso being replaced.
- 57‘New Zealand make a substitution with Ofa Tuungafasi coming on.
- 57‘New Zealand make a substitution with Owen Franks coming off.
- 57‘Beauden Barrett converts the try.
- 56‘The defensive line has been broken as Codie Taylor goes through the gap.
- 55‘Codie Taylor played a key part in that try.
- 55‘A series of passes by New Zealand results in a try for Ben Smith.
- 54‘Beauden Barrett has kicked a conversion.
- 54‘France sub Cyril Baille comes onto the field.
- 54‘Dany Priso departs for France.
- 53‘What a run here by Codie Taylor as they gets over the gainline!.
- 52‘That’s a great try assist by Beauden Barrett.
- 52‘The kick through from New Zealand has allowed Codie Taylor to touch down.
- 52‘New Zealand have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 52‘Camille Chat has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 50‘Paul Gabrillagues (France) is shown a yellow card.
- 47‘Beauden Barrett does the business as his penalty goal attempt goes over.
- 45‘Karl Tuinukuafe comes on for New Zealand.
- 45‘Joe Moody leaves the field.
- 43‘Rabah Slimani comes on.
- 43‘Uini Atonio comes off.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40‘New Zealand have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 40‘What a tackle there by Yoann Maestri as he saves a certain try!.
- 37‘Rieko Ioane makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 35‘Morgan Parra makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 34‘France have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 25‘New Zealand have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 25‘Fabulous play by France has led to Dany Priso being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 23‘Beauden Barrett curls the ball too far, missing the posts to the right.
- 22‘Trouble here as Beauden Barrett breaches the defence.
- 21‘Anton Lienert-Brown sets up the try.
- 21‘Great hands by New Zealand leads to a try for Beauden Barrett.
- 21‘This is dangerous for the defence as Jordie Barrett bursts through to advance the New Zealand attack.
- 19‘Morgan Parra kicks the penalty.
- 13‘Beauden Barrett has kicked a penalty goal.
- 10‘A gap opened in the defence and Ryan Crotty took full advantage.
- 8‘Morgan Parra has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 6‘Remy Grosso intercepts the pass to race ahead and score the try for France.
- 5‘The defensive line has been broken as Teddy Thomas goes through the gap.
- 4‘Jordie Barrett steps up to take the penalty but pulls it wide and to the right.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.