Stormers wing JJ Engelbrecht scored twice in the Stormers 34-18 win against the Rebels. The four tries to two win was never in doubt, with the Stormers leading 17-6 at halftime.
The hosts, unbeaten at Newlands in 2018, extended the lead to 27-6 early in the second half. The visitors scored two tries in the third quarter but the Stormers, thanks to a incisive running from centre Damian de Allende, ended the match with a converted try.
De Allende was powerful in the midfield and he rolled Rebels flyhalf Jack Debreczeni en-route to a try. His distribution was also impressive. This was easily De Allende’s best match of the year.
The Stormers halfbacks Damian Willemse and Dewaldt Duvenage were influential on the back of a dominant Stormers set piece, with Duvenage SuperSport’s Man of the Match.
The bookies had -14.5 handicap on the Rebels and it proved an accurate reflection of their away form. The Rebels, like the Stormers, have been decent at home but poor away from home.
The Stormers, having lost three away South African derby matches to the Bulls, Lions and Sharks, won for just the fourth time in 10 matches.
Stormers coach Robbie Fleck will welcome the win but it was painful at times, especially on a public holiday on a Friday afternoon.
- The Stormers have won five of their previous six encounters against the Rebels, including the last three.
- The Stormers have won 13 of their last 14 regular season games at home against teams visiting from outside South Africa, including each of their last eight such fixtures.
- The Rebels have won only one of 11 games away from home since the beginning of last season (D1, L9), with that sole win coming against the Sunwolves in Round 3 this season.
Tries: De Allende, Leyds, Engelbrecht (2)
Conversions: Willemse (4)
Penalties: Willemse (2)
Tries: Naivalu (2)
Penalties: Debreczeni (2)
15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Craig Barry, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 JJ Engelbrecht, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Kobus van Dyk, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Chris van Zyl, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 Steven Kitshoff
Substitutes : 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Cobus Wiese, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Paul de Wet, 22 SP Marais, 23 Seabelo Senatla
15 Jack Maddocks, 14 Tom English, 13 Reece Hodge, 12 Billy Meakes, 11 Marika Koroibete, 10 Jack Debreczeni, 9 Michael Ruru, 8 Amanaki Mafi, 7 Angus Cottrell, 6 Lopeti Timani, 5 Adam Coleman (captain), 4 Matt Philip, 3 Jermaine Ainsley, 2 Anaru Rangi, 1 Tetera Faulkner
Substitutes: 16 Sama Malolo, 17 Fereti Sa’aga, 18 Sam Talakai, 19 Geoff Parling, 20 Colby Fainga’a, 21 Harrison Goddard, 22 Semisi Tupou, 23 Sefa Naivalu
Opta Powered Live Match Commentary
- 80+2‘Damian Willemse adds the two points for Stormers.
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 80+1‘Damian de Allende sets up the try.
- 80+1‘A wonderful passing move by Stormers is finished off by JJ Engelbrecht.
- 79‘Semisi Tupou comes on.
- 79‘Sefanaia Naivalu comes off.
- 79‘Harrison Goddard comes on.
- 79‘Michael Ruru comes off.
- 79‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Carlu Sadie getting some game time.
- 79‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Wilco Louw being replaced.
- 78‘Stormers have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 78‘This is dangerous for the defence as Dillyn Leyds bursts through to advance the Stormers attack.
- 76‘Jack Debreczeni has hooked the conversion to the left of the posts.
- 75‘Rebels make a substitution with Sama Malolo coming on.
- 75‘Rebels make a substitution with Angus Cottrell coming off.
- 75‘A gap opened in the defence and Sefanaia Naivalu took full advantage.
- 75‘Jack Debreczeni sets up the try.
- 75‘A series of passes by Rebels results in a try for Sefanaia Naivalu.
- 74‘Rebels have won 80 rucks so far this game.
- 72‘Stormers sub SP Marais comes onto the field.
- 72‘EW Viljoen departs for Stormers.
- 72‘Cobus Wiese comes on for Stormers.
- 72‘Chris Van Zyl leaves the field.
- 71‘Pieter-Steph du Toit has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 71‘Rebels have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 70‘Siya Kolisi has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 65‘Seabelo Senatla comes on.
- 65‘Craig Barry comes off.
- 59‘Nizaam Carr comes on.
- 59‘Sikhumbuzo Notshe comes off.
- 59‘JC van Rensburg comes on.
- 59‘Steven Kitshoff comes off.
- 59‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Siyabonga Ntubeni getting some game time.
- 59‘Stormers decide to make a substitution, with Ramone Samuels being replaced.
- 59‘Jack Debreczeni has penalty kick attempt at goal but pushes it to the right hand side of the posts.
- 55‘Damian Willemse does the business as his penalty goal attempt goes over.
- 54‘The defensive line has been broken as JJ Engelbrecht goes through the gap.
- 54‘What a run here by Dewaldt Duvenage as they gets over the gainline!.
- 53‘Jack Debreczeni does the business as his conversion attempt goes over.
- 52‘Sefanaia Naivalu makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 52‘Spellbinding play by Colby Fainga’a is finished off with a try.
- 52‘Great hands by Rebels leads to a try for Sefanaia Naivalu.
- 51‘Kobus Van Dyk has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 51‘Rebels have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 50‘Fabulous play by Rebels has led to Bill Meakes being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 49‘Rebels make a substitution with Colby Fainga’a coming on.
- 49‘Rebels make a substitution with Lopeti Timani coming off.
- 48‘Damian Willemse takes the penalty but the ball didn’t come round, staying right of the posts.
- 47‘Stormers have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 46‘Rebels sub Geoff Parling comes onto the field.
- 46‘Matt Philip departs for Rebels.
- 46‘Sam Talakai comes on for Rebels.
- 46‘Jermaine Ainsley leaves the field.
- 45‘Damian Willemse makes no mistake with that conversion attempt.
- 44‘Dewaldt Duvenage played a key part in that try.
- 43‘The kick through from Stormers has allowed Dillyn Leyds to touch down.
- 40‘Fereti Sa’aga comes on.
- 40‘Tetera Faulkner comes off.
- 40‘Rebels have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+2‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 36‘That’s a great try assist by Damian Willemse.
- 34‘Trouble here as Damian Willemse breaches the defence.
- 34‘Damian Willemse converts the try.
- 33‘Pieter-Steph du Toit sets up the try.
- 33‘This is dangerous for the defence as JJ Engelbrecht bursts through to advance the Stormers attack.
- 32‘Stormers are only a few metres out, surely they must score! And they do with JJ Engelbrecht touching down.
- 28‘Stormers have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 20‘Damian Willemse steps up to take the penalty but pulls it wide and to the right.
- 16‘Damian Willemse has kicked a conversion.
- 15‘A stunning solo try from Damian de Allende.
- 15‘A gap opened in the defence and Damian de Allende took full advantage.
- 12‘Jack Debreczeni makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 10‘Damian Willemse kicks the penalty.
- 5‘Jack Debreczeni has kicked a penalty goal.
- 1‘The defensive line has been broken as Anaru Rangi goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.