Siya Kolisi’s inspired Springboks beat England 23-12 in Bloemfontein to go two-nil up in the three-Test series. The win means the Springboks, seventh in the world before kick off, are now ranked third. Duane Vermeulen was at the heart of a colossal Springbok effort to score 23 unanswered points after England again got off to a flyer to lead 12-0.
Vermeulen was named man of the match.
The Springboks led 13-12 at halftime after flyhalf Handre Pollard kicked a 60 metre penalty.
The Springboks scored two tries, one of which was a penalty try from a dominant scrum.
SA 23 (13)
Tries: Duane Vermeulen, Penalty Try
Conversion: Handre Pollard
Penalties: Pollard (3)
England 12 (12)
Tries: Mike Brown, Jonny May
Conversion: Owen Farrell
15 Willie le Roux, 14 S’bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Substitutes: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Jean-Luc du Preez, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Jesse Kriel, 23 Warrick Gelant
15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Henry Slade, 12 Owen Farrell (captain), 11 Mike Brown, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Tom Curry, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Maro Itoje, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola
Substitutes: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Harry Williams, 19 Mark Wilson, 20 Nathan Hughes, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Danny Cipriani, 23 Denny Solomona
More to follow …
- It’s all over! The referee has blown his whistle to end the game.
- 74‘Jonny May makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 74‘Ivan van Zyl comes on.
- 74‘Faf de Klerk comes off.
- 72‘Ben Spencer comes on.
- 72‘Ben Youngs comes off.
- 72‘Fabulous play by South Africa has led to Sibusiso Nkosi being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 71‘Handre Pollard steps up to take the penalty but pulls it wide and to the right.
- 70‘Owen Farrell has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 70‘Maro Itoje has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 70‘South Africa have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 68‘Nathan Hughes (England) is shown a yellow card.
- 68‘England have won 60 rucks so far this game.
- 68‘Trouble here as Elliot Daly breaches the defence.
- 66‘Mark Wilson comes on.
- 66‘Brad Shields comes off.
- 66‘England decide to make a substitution, with Denny Solomona getting some game time.
- 66‘England decide to make a substitution, with Mike Brown being replaced.
- 66‘England make a substitution with Danny Cipriani coming on.
- 66‘England make a substitution with George Ford coming off.
- 66‘Handre Pollard makes no mistake with that penalty goal attempt.
- 65‘South Africa sub Sikhumbuzo Notshe comes onto the field.
- 65‘Siya Kolisi departs for South Africa.
- 64‘Pieter-Steph du Toit has made 10 good tackles so far this game.
- 61‘Luke Cowan-Dickie comes on for England.
- 61‘Jamie George leaves the field.
- 61‘This is dangerous for the defence as Jesse Kriel bursts through to advance the South Africa attack.
- 59‘A gap opened in the defence and George Ford took full advantage.
- 59‘Jesse Kriel comes on.
- 59‘Lukhanyo Am comes off.
- 57‘Joe Marler comes on.
- 57‘Mako Vunipola comes off.
- 56‘England have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 56‘Try saving tackle made by Franco Mostert.
- 55‘Jean-Luc du Preez comes on.
- 55‘RG Snyman comes off.
- 54‘The defensive line has been broken as Mike Brown goes through the gap.
- 50‘South Africa decide to make a substitution, with Armand van der Merwe getting some game time.
- 50‘South Africa decide to make a substitution, with Mbongeni Mbonami being replaced.
- 50‘England make a substitution with Harry Williams coming on.
- 50‘England make a substitution with Kyle Sinckler coming off.
- 49‘The referee awards a penalty try to South Africa.
- 49‘South Africa put the pressure on with this scrum and it has paid off as they are awarded a penalty try.
- 46‘What a tackle there by Maro Itoje as he saves a certain try!.
- 44‘South Africa sub Thomas du Toit comes onto the field.
- 44‘Frans Malherbe departs for South Africa.
- 44‘Steven Kitshoff comes on for South Africa.
- 44‘Tendai Mtawarira leaves the field.
- 42‘South Africa have won 40 rucks so far this game.
- 41‘What a run here by Brad Shields as they gets over the gainline!.
- 41‘Duane Vermeulen makes the break as the defence re-enacts the parting of the red sea.
- 40‘The second half is underway.
- 40+1‘The half-time whistle blows and both teams’ head for the dressing rooms.
- 40‘Nathan Hughes comes on.
- 40‘Billy Vunipola comes off.
- 39‘Fabulous play by South Africa has led to Mbongeni Mbonami being able to wriggle through a gap.
- 38‘Handre Pollard kicks the penalty.
- 35‘England have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 28‘Handre Pollard has kicked a penalty goal.
- 24‘Handre Pollard converts the try.
- 24‘RG Snyman played a key part in that try.
- 23‘A stunning solo try from Duane Vermeulen.
- 23‘Trouble here as Tendai Mtawarira breaches the defence.
- 23‘South Africa have won 20 rucks so far this game.
- 13‘Owen Farrell has hooked the conversion to the right of the posts.
- 13‘That’s a great try assist by Mike Brown.
- 12‘Elliot Daly sets up the try.
- 12‘A series of passes by England results in a try for Jonny May.
- 12‘This is dangerous for the defence as Jonny May bursts through to advance the England attack.
- 10‘Owen Farrell has kicked a conversion.
- 10‘A gap opened in the defence and Mike Brown took full advantage.
- 9‘Great hands by England leads to a try for Mike Brown.
- 3‘The defensive line has been broken as Damian de Allende goes through the gap.
- We are underway as the referee blows his whistle.